Tipp determined to have Forde ban overturned

first_imgYou can hear more on this with Jackie Cahill on Straight Talk from 7 o’clock here on TippFM.Throw-in is at 3.30 on Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick and Tipp FM will have full live coverage in association with Donal Ryan Motor Group – Nenagh, Thurles & Roscrea and Horse & Jockey Hotel, Thurles. Jason Forde has been suspended for his part in the incident that resulted in Wexford Hurling Manager Davy Fitzgerald picking up an eight-week touchline ban after a pitch incursion last weekend.Forde is still expected to play in Sunday’s Allianz national League final against Galway because his appeal won’t be heard by the Central Hearings Committee until next week.Sports Journalist and TippFM presenter Jackie Cahill says Tipp are prepared to fight this ruling even though they could lose Forde for two games in the Munster Championship.last_img read more

Tough challenge for Eire Óg Annacarty

first_imgThe West Tipp side have it all to do if they’re to progress to the County Senior Hurling Final.They face defending champions Thurles Sarsfields in the semi-finals this weekend.Adding to the task is the fact that many of their players lined out in their County Senior Football Championship defeat to Arravale Rovers last night. Photo © Tipp FM Eire Óg coach Ollie Kelly admits they’ll be going into Sunday’s game as underdogs.That game throws in at 5 o’clock in Semple Stadium on Sunday evening.It will be preceded by the clash of Drom & Inch versus Borrisoleigh at 3.30.Tipp FM’s extended live updates of this Sundays County Senior Hurling Semi finals come in association with The Village Grill, Clerihan.last_img read more

Afobe Pulls out of DR Congo Squad

first_imgBritish media reported that Afobe had told the Congolese coach Florent Ibenge he wished to consolidate his place in the Bournemouth starting line-up after scoring against Swansea City in a 3-0 away win on Saturday.“The manager showed faith in me by starting me and I wanted to repay him with a goal, so I’m happy,” the 23-year-old told his club’s website (www.afcb.co.uk) after the victory on New Year’s eve.“The goal was a great relief and a goal at a crucial time. The lads have been helping me a lot and I want to improve personally.”Afobe now has two goals in his last three starts for the Cherries but could be banned from playing for his club for the duration of the three-week tournament, which starts on January 14, if the Congolese federation take up the issue with FIFA.Afobe’s decision comes less than two months after receiving Fifa’s permission belatedly to switch his international allegiance after previously playing for England at the under-21 level.He was supposed to debut for the Congolese in November’s World Cup qualifier at Guinea but was stymied when the Football Association sent his paperwork for the switch of nationality to the wrong federation, embarrassingly mixing up DR Congo with neighbouring Congo-Brazzaville.Afobe had been left frustrated after flying all the way to Africa to find he was not eligible to play, permission coming too late after the mix-up in London was discovered.DR Congo has a tough group at the tournament in Gabon, competing with holders Ivory Coast, Morocco and Togo in Group C.Their opening game is against Morocco in Oyem on January 16.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram AFCON 2017… AFCON 2017… AFCON 2017…Bournemouth striker Benik Afobe has pulled out of the Africa Cup of Nations finals to stay with his Premier League team despite recently switching his allegiance from England to the Democratic Republic of Congo.The Congolese Football Federation (FECOFA) monday confirmed Afobe’s withdrawal from a 31-man preliminary squad, who have gathered in Yaounde, Cameroon for pre-tournament preparations.“Afobe has forfeited from the tournament,” said media officer Gerard-Desire Angengwa without offering any reason.last_img read more

Algeria Coach, Leekens, Quits after Elimination

first_img“For the good of all I decided to quit even though I do it with heartache,” Leekens told the Algerian Football Federation website.“I wish all the success in the world to the national side.”The 67-year-old Belgian was appointed to the role only in October, for what was his second spell in charge following a four-month stint in 2003.He had been expected to take Algeria deep into the latter stages at least in Gabon, coaching a side that contains BBC and CAF African Footballer of the Year Riyad Mahrez and his Leicester team-mate Islam Slimani, Porto’s Yacine Brahimi and Napoli’s Faouzi Ghoulam.But the team underperformed at the tournament, beginning their Group B matches with a shock 2-2 draw with Zimbabwe – in which they scored an 82nd-minute goal by Mahrez to rescue a point.That was followed by a 2-1 defeat by their north African Neighbours Tunisia, which left them needing to beat Senegal in their final match on Monday to have any chance of making it to the quarter-finals.But they were held 2-2 by a reserve Senegal side, who had already won the group before the match, and suffered an embarrassing elimination.Algeria is also struggling to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.The Fennecs are bottom of Group B – which also contains Nigeria, Cameroon and Zambia – after two matches, having drawn one and lost one.Only the group winners go through and they already trail Nigeria by five points.“Given the pressure on the federation and the national team, I preferred to end my contract out of friendship for the president of the FAF (Algerian Football Federation) who deserves respect,” Leekens added.Leekens was Algeria’s third coach in a year, following on from Milovan Rajevac and Christian Gourcuff.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram AFCON 2017…AFCON 2017…Algeria Coach, Georges Leekens, tuesday resigned following the team’s early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.The Fennecs were one of the pre-tournament favourites but were knocked out of the finals on Monday night after failing to win a game in Gabon.last_img read more

Customs, CIS Share the Spoils as 2018 Maritime Cup Begins

first_imgSpeaking at the opening ceremony, the Chief Executive Officer of Ships & Ports, Mr. Bolaji Akinola, said the tournament was part of the company’s effort in contributing to the development of the maritime industry through fostering friendship and the spirit of camaraderie.Akinola, who recalled how the competition started with only four teams in 2009, expressed delight that the aim of the competition was being achieved with the level of participation so far over the years.“We started this competition 10 years ago and I am happy to say that the Maritime Cup is 10 years old today. We started very small with only four teams but here we are, we are growing.“Three years ago, we had 16 teams participating in the competition but then because of exigency of duty and changing priorities, we were able to put together eight teams this year. But the quality of participation is the most important to us.“Since we started the competition, we have seen various interest groups in the industry come together. Ordinarily, people who would possibly not have met in the course of duty are meeting annually on the football pitch due to the opportunity provided by the Maritime Cup competition.“I am happy that the objective for which the competition was set up is being achieved,” he said.He expressed appreciation to the Managing Director of NPA, Hadiza Bala Usman and Dangote Group for supporting the competition.Representative of the Managing Director of NPA; the General Manager, Human Resources, Yahaya Bukar, who officially kicked off the opening match, commended Ships & Ports for initiating and sustaining the Maritime Cup competition over the years, an achievement he described as a great feat.Eight teams, including the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA); Nigerian Navy, NPA, Tin Can Island Container Terminal (TICT), Apapa Bulk Terminal (ABTL), Josephdam Port Services, Customs and CIS are participating in this year’s competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The 10th edition of the Annual Maritime Cup Competition organised by Ships & Ports kicked off in grand style at the Nigerian Port Authority (NPA) Sports Ground, Surulere, Lagos on Tuesday with the opening match between defending champions Nigeria Customs Service and the Certified Institute of Shipping (CIS) ending in a 1-1 draw.Philip Dauzi scored the first goal for CIS in the eight minute of the match while Henry Nwakoni equalised for the Customs team in the 95th minute of the tension-soaked encounter.The opening ceremony of the tournament, which has grown in popularity ever since it was launched in 2009, was witnessed by several maritime industry stakeholders and football fans.last_img read more

Obele Community Wins Howzat National Junior Cricket Tourney

first_imgObele Community High School, Randle Avenue, Lagos on Sunday emerged winner of the 23rd Howzat National Cricket Super League for Philip Asiodu trophy after a very competitive affair.The tournament which had five schools participating from the initial eight invited was staged on a round robin bases atAnsar-Ud-Deen Grammar School, Randle Avenue, Surulere, Lagos. The host school and Federal Government College, Warri, Delta played in the third place match, while  Obele Community High School, and Liasabi Grammar School, Abeokuta, Ogun State slugged it out in the finals. Obele Community won the toss and elected to bat and went on to score 114 all out in 19.2 overs, while Liasabi Grammar High School scored 71 runs all out in 14.2 overs.Obele Community won by 43 runs.However, it was Liasabi Grammar School’s Dada Toluwalase that won the Man of the Match after bowling 2.2 overs.The first placed school was rewarded with N50,000, while Liasabi Grammar School and Ansar-Ud-Deen Grammar School, which placed second and third, went away with N30,000 and N20,000 respectively. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Cahill Seals Crystal Palace Deal

first_imgCrystal Palace have signed former England and Chelsea defender Gary Cahill.The 33-year-old was released by Chelsea at the end of last season after seven years with the club that saw him win eight major honours.The former Bolton and Aston Villa defender won 61 caps for England before “stepping aside” from international football in August 2018. Palace have also signed Stephen Henderson and Jordan Ayew this summer.Cahill had been a first-team regular for Chelsea since the 2012-13 season but made just two Premier League appearances last term.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Six Nations tournament to resume in October

first_imgLast Updated: 5th August, 2020 23:23 IST Six Nations Tournament To Resume In October Six Nations organizers on Wednesday confirmed the dates for the rescheduled matches to complete the 2020 tournament, which was brought to a halt by the coronavirus pandemic. First Published: 5th August, 2020 23:23 IST Six Nations organizers on Wednesday confirmed the dates for the rescheduled matches to complete the 2020 tournament, which was brought to a halt by the coronavirus pandemic.Matches for both the men and women’s tournaments, which were suspended in March, will resume in October.Ireland will take on Italy at the Aviva Stadium on Oct. 24, a week before the last round of the men’s tournament involving all six teams on Oct. 31.England tops the standings with 13 points from four matches, ahead of France on points difference.“In rescheduling these matches, the health and safety of players, associated staff and supporters has been at the forefront of our thinking,” organizers said in a statement on Wednesday. “We remain in close contact with all relevant authorities across the respective jurisdictions to ensure these matches take place in a safe environment and we will announce further details of health and safety protocols and guidance on spectator attendance in due course.” The women’s championship will be completed across three weekends. England also tops the women’s standings, eight points ahead of France, which has a game in hand.Because of the travel restrictions currently in place preventing many teams to travel to Europe, organizers also confirmed their plans for an eight-team tournament beginning on Nov. 14 in place of the men’s Autumn tests that will involved the Six Nations teams plus Japan and Fiji. SUBSCRIBE TO US WATCH US LIVE LIVE TVcenter_img COMMENT Written By Associated Press Television News FOLLOW USlast_img read more