Duterte’s defense of Duque won’t affect Ombudsman probe – Palace

Category esqrtujchzis

first_imgPresident Rodrigo Duterte’s (right) defense of Department of Health (DOH) secretary Francisco Duque III won’t affect the investigation being done by the Office of the Ombudsman, says Palace spokesperson Harry Roque. ABS-CBN NEWS “As a matter of integrity, he believes the Duque family will not steal, he knows their background very well,” Roque said. “Duque would have already been fired if he no longer had Duterte’s trust and confidence.” In an address to the public on Monday evening, President Duterte has defended Duque anew saying he continues to have faith in the Health chief amid allegations hurled against the latter. “It’s headed by a seasoned litigator and former trial court judge and Supreme Court justice,” Roque said in an interview with CNN Philippines’ The Source on Tuesday morning. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte’s defense of Department of Health (DOH) secretary Francisco Duque III won’t affect the investigation being done by the Office of the Ombudsman, according to Malacañang. “I think he can discern facts for himself, so I think he’ll proceed with his own probe regardless of what the President has said,” he added. “The Ombudsman will be looking into the issue of efficiency in government, as well as possible breaches in the country’s anti-graft laws.”center_img Roque, meanwhile, said Duterte can also vouch for the integrity of Duque’s family members, noting how the President has been a longtime friend of the Health Secretary’s brother, Gonzalo, who was once appointed as administrator of the Philippine Coconut Authority. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Ombudsman remains an independent body as President Duterte is confident on Samuel Martires’ qualifications to roll out an investigation. The Chief Executive added that he was willing to place his reputation on the line to prove that there were no anomalies on the side of Duque. The Office of the Ombudsman ordered last week an investigation into supposed “irregularities and anomalies” in the DOH’s coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic response measures./PNlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *