4 players from Nets, the Lakers’ last opponent, test positive for coronavirus

first_img Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers The increasing number of positive tests is an added challenge for the NBA, which is still weighing a potential return to basketball this summer. The CDC suggested over the weekend that gatherings of 50 or more people should be discouraged for eight weeks to slow the spread of the virus – even without fans, televised NBA games would require a minimum of several hundred people to be in an arena. ESPN reported the NBA’s board of governors was meeting on Tuesday to discuss the NBA’s future this season.Several teams that played the Jazz last week went into self-quarantine. Only one player on the Detroit Pistons tested positive among them. The Nets and the Jazz have not played since January, well past the virus incubation period.“The health and well-being of our players, staff, fans, and society in general, is of paramount importance to us, and will continue to be our focus,” the team said in a statement. While many factors can spread the coronavirus, and New York state reported more than 1,300 cases as of Tuesday afternoon, the recommended quarantine period commonly cited is two weeks, putting the Lakers squarely in that window. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersESPN reported that the Nets paid a private company to test their players upon returning from San Francisco, where they traveled before their game against Golden State was canceled. The test results were returned on Tuesday.The Lakers have been following suggested practices since last Thursday: They’ve been asked to remain at home as much as possible and check in with team medical personnel. Group workouts and practices have been replaced by one-on-one sessions with assistants rather than teammates. Lakers players were also given COVID-19 test kits, but not required to use them immediately.In a statement, the Lakers said they were “following the next steps of our COVID-19 procedures and protocol that are established in consultation with various health officials, the NBA and our UCLA Health doctors.” ESPN reported that in light of the reports, the Lakers planned to test players on Wednesday and would urge them to follow a two-week quarantine.The NBA so far has made one notable concession for quarantine, allowing players to travel out of their team markets to visit family.Related Articlescenter_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Four Brooklyn Nets players have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday – a worrisome development for the NBA and the Lakers, their last opponent.The Nets issued a statement saying that only one player has shown symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, while the three others with positive tests have not. The Athletic reported that one of the players who is asymptomatic is Kevin Durant, the 10-time All-Star and two-time NBA Finals MVP and the most high-profile athlete to test positive. The team has asked all members of the traveling party to remain in isolation while checking with team medical staff daily, and they’ve also reached out to recent opponents.Those opponents include the Lakers, who played their last game at a sold-out Staples Center on March 10 against Brooklyn. It was the first game that the league had implemented social distancing measures, closing team locker rooms to non-essential personnel.The day after, the NBA suspended its season following the first positive test by Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert. The Nets’ report now means that seven NBA players across three different teams have tested positive for coronavirus.last_img read more

Milner sends Liverpool eight points clear, Spurs rocked at Brighton

first_img0Shares0000Liverpool midfielder James Milner netted the late winner against Leicester © AFP / Paul ELLISLondon, United Kingdom, Oct 5 – James Milner scored a stoppage-time winner as Liverpool moved eight points clear at the top of the Premier League with a thrilling 2-1 victory over Leicester, while Mauricio Pochettino’s problems mounted after Tottenham’s heavy loss at Brighton on Saturday.Liverpool won for the 17th consecutive league game thanks to Milner’s dramatic contribution to a thrilling clash at Anfield. Jurgen Klopp’s side ruined Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers’ first return to Liverpool since being replaced by the German in 2015.By extending their remarkable winning streak, Liverpool have piled pressure on second-placed Manchester City ahead of their home game against Wolves on Sunday.“It was a super game. We upped the tempo. The football we played was so important,” Klopp said.“Without luck we cannot win the amount of games we have won, but over the 90 minutes we deserved it. James Milner held his nerve and that was superb.”Liverpool took the lead in the 40th minute when Milner’s long ball was misjudged by Leicester defender Jonny Evans and Sadio Mane clinically slotted in his eighth goal of the season.Mane has scored exactly 50 goals in 100 Premier League games for Liverpool, making the Senegal winger the 10th player to reach that milestone for the Reds.James Maddison snatched third-placed Leicester’s equaliser in the 80th minute when he collected Ayoze Perez’s pass and drove his shot under Adrian’s weak attempted save.But five minutes into stoppage time, Marc Albrighton took the ball away from his own goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and then clipped Mane, with Milner converting the penalty after a VAR review.– Spurs’ woes deepen –At the Amex Stadium, Tottenham’s crisis deepened as they turned in a desperate performance to lose 3-0, while Hugo Lloris suffered a serious arm injury after another howler.Tottenham keeper Lloris dropped the ball on the goal line and hurt himself in the process in only the third minute, allowing Neal Maupay to open the scoring.It only got worse after that as Aaron Connolly’s double gave the impressive Seagulls a deserved three points.It ranked as one of the worst performances of Pochettino’s reign and, following on from Tuesday’s 7-2 Champions League humiliation to Bayern Munich, the dark clouds are mounting over the club.Mauricio Pochettino is feeling the heat at struggling Tottenham © AFP / Glyn KIRKPochettino was forced to emphasise his commitment to Tottenham this week amid speculation he has grown distant from a squad distracted by several players who have been linked with moves.“We have to keep going. I have to say thank you for the fans. I feel sorry for them,” Pochettino said.“Now you cannot find any words to console them and our players because I think we are living a tough moment.”Last season’s Champions League finalists have won just three of their opening 11 games of the campaign and are without an away league win in 10 games dating back to January.– Everton woe –Everton manager Marco Silva is also under increasing pressure following a 1-0 defeat at Burnley that left his team fourth from bottom.Jeff Hendrick got Burnley’s 72nd-minute winner after Everton had right-back Seamus Coleman sent off early in the second half for a crude lunge on Dwight McNeil.Aston Villa’s 5-1 demolition of Norwich was given a royal seal of approval with Villa fan Prince William in attendance with wife Kate and his young family at Carrow Road.Dean Smith’s side took a 14th-minute lead through Wesley and the Brazilian forward struck again for his fourth goal of the season in the 30th minute.Wesley wasted a chance to complete his hat-trick when his penalty was saved by Michael McGovern.Jack Grealish, Conor Hourihane and Douglas Luiz completed Villa’s biggest away Premier League win for 11 years.“I will put a call in to see if we can get them on the coach next game,” Smith joked of the royal visitors.Crystal Palace climbed to fourth place with a VAR-assisted 2-1 victory at West Ham.Sebastien Haller opened the scoring, but Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt equalised with a penalty before Jordan Ayew’s close-range winner in the 87th minute survived a lengthy VAR review for offside.Watford remain bottom after a goalless draw with Sheffield United.0Shares0000(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

SADNESS AT PASSING OF MADGIE McGEE

first_imgThere has been widespread sadness in West Donegal and further afield following the death of Madgie McGee.Madgie (nee Boyle), from Upper Dore, Gweedre and formerly of Bunaman, Annagry, leaves behind a large circle of family and friends including grandsons Neil and Eamon from the Donegal senior GAA team.Her remains are reposing at her late residence at Upper Dore, Bunbeg. Funeral arrangements are to be confirmed later.The house is private from 11pm till 10am.Family flowers only with donations in lieu if desired to the Donegal Hospice c/o Shaun Mc Glynn, Funeral Directors, Dungloe or any family member.  SADNESS AT PASSING OF MADGIE McGEE was last modified: August 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deathdonegalGweedoreMadgie McGeelast_img read more