Dominican Authorities Say David Ortiz Wasnt Intended Target of Shooting

first_img 202 By Lisa Weidenfeld· Dominican Authorities Say David Ortiz Wasn’t Intended Target of Shooting The former Red Sox star is recovering at Mass General. 6/19/2019, 6:54 p.m. Get a compelling long read and must-have lifestyle tips in your inbox every Sunday morning — great with coffee! center_img Sign up for Boston Daily. News. Commentary. Every day.* Print David Ortiz photo by Keith Allison via Flickr/Creative CommonsThe lead prosecutor in the Dominican Republic has indicated that the investigation into the shooting of David Ortiz suggests that the retired Red Sox player wasn’t the intended target.After a flurry of arrests and international media attention, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez said the target was a different man, David Fernandez, who was dressed similarly and seated with Ortiz the night of the shooting. He also said the whole operation was spearheaded by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel, who is not yet in custody, but did not share a potential motive. Eleven other people have been arrested so far.Ortiz was shot at the Dial Bar and Lounge on June 9, and then brought back to Boston to receive care on June 10, where he had surgery at Mass General. According to a publicist, Ortiz continues to heal and has begun walking.Earlier, his lawyer spoke to the Boston Globe, saying, in part, that “David Ortiz is innocent in what happened. He has no connection to illicit activities, no relationships with people who have criminal connections, nor has he violated his family values that would bring about such an incident.”last_img read more