Oscar Pistorius: IPC will allow him to compete at Rio Paralympics

first_imgOscar Pistorius will be allowed to compete at the 2016 Paralympic Games if he is not in jail, the International Paralympic Committee has revealed.The South African, 27, was found guilty of culpable homicide on Friday after the judge ruled he killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp by mistake.Sentencing will take place on 13 October, but Pistorius could compete at Rio if he has served his sentence.”We wouldn’t stand in his way,” said IPC spokesman Craig Spence.Pistorious, nicknamed Blade Runner, won six gold medals at three Paralympic Games and made history by becoming the first amputee sprinter to compete at the Olympics.IPC director of media and communications Spence said that the organisation’s thoughts were with the family and friends of Steenkamp. But he said the IPC would not block Pistorius if he had served his sentence and wanted to compete at Rio.”Providing he serves his sentence then he will be free to compete in IPC competitions going forward,” Spence told BBC chief sports correspondent Dan Roan.”Oscar would need to decide first whether he wanted to compete and then he would need to be selected by the South African National Paralympic Committee.”If he had served any punishment given to him before Rio then the ball would be in his court.”But former Paralympian Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson doubts whether Pistorius would make the Games – even if he had served his punishment and was picked to represent South Africa. “He’ll have missed a chunk of time training and competing,” added the 11-time Paralympic gold medallist.”His sponsors aren’t there anymore…financially he’s in a very difficult position.”Meanwhile, IPC chief executive Xavier Gonzalez is confident Pistorius’s conviction will not harm the profile of the Paralympic movement.”The trial has had no negative impact on the Paralympic movement,” he added.”Since London and Sochi 2014 we have seen an incredible growth in all aspects of our activities and we are looking forward positively to Rio and Pyeongchang. “Oscar was a fundamental ambassador of the Paralympic movement in the period between 2008 and 2012.”Since then the Paralympic movement has many other ambassadors and many other athletes that have been recognised globally.”last_img read more

Bank on Bars Of Gold

first_img FIRST SUPER-6 FANCIES They include MEET JUSTIN, who was noted making rapid headway to finish 2-1/2 lengths eighth to GANJA MAN over the straight last Saturday. He will appreciate the longer distance and with outgoing champion jockey Dane Nelson sticking with the ride. I take the Patrick Lynch-trained colt to win from CAPTAIN GRANVILLE, who was just behind him on his recent debut when third to SAMORA over 1500 metres. OFFICIAL REPORT, having beaten better in the not-too-distant past and now dropped in class, is preferred to the recent winner, FRANKENSTORM, in the third race, the Pick 3 Easy to Win Bonanza Trophy ($450,00-$400,000) claiming over the round five course. Nine have been declared, but OFFICIAL REPORT with Ruja Lahoe and the consistent FRANKENSTORM (speedy) are the two standouts. BARS OF GOLD, a winner in much better company when last raced on September 12, has been thrown in for a tag by trainer Anthony ‘Baba’ Nunes in lowly $180,000 and should slaughter his 15 rivals over 1500 metres with leading jockey Ellis retaining the ride. Despite the suspicious drop this low in class, BARS OF GOLD will report in good condition (seen at exercise) and should lead home GRAN CORAZON, PRINCE O’SHAUN, and EASTWOOD. The last three races in the first Super-6 should be won by the 2-y-o GOLDEN GLORY, with Aaron Chatrie riding for trainer Gary Subratie; CHIEF SECRETARIAT (Nelson up) in the Pick 3 Five Times A Day Trophy over 1820 metres, a non-winner of three event for four-year-olds and up; and DARLIN EMMA in the seventh for maiden four-year-olds and up over the straight. (1) MEET JUSTIN/CAPTAIN GRANVILLE (2) OFFICIAL REPORT/ FRANKENSTORM (3) BARS OF GOLD (4) GOLDEN GLORY/ OCEAN SEEKER (5) CHIEF SECRETARIAT/ ROUGH PATRICK (6) DARLIN EMMA/ALL FOR THE GLORY. – O.C. A huge upset by PRINCESS SALLEMA at 43-1 in the eighth race at Caymanas Park last Saturday ensured that the Pick-9 eluded punters and the carryover to tomorrow stands at $1.8 million. PRINCESS SALLEMA, one of three winners for the promising apprentice Bebeto Harvey on the card, also ensured that there were no takers in the late Super-6, resulting in a $1.3 carryover from race six to 11. The Pick-9 will be conducted from race three to 11 and the first Super-6 from race two to seven. We look at the first Super-6, which commences with the Pick 3 Simple Ting Fi Win Trophy over 1600 metres, to be contested by 11 maiden three-year-olds. MEET JUSTINlast_img read more

Man City star Aguero unhurt following car collision

first_imgThe incident has been described as a “minor prang”, with the forward coming away unscathed.The Argentina international has nine goals and two assists in eight matches in all competitions for City this term.The 31-year-old confirmed during the summer transfer window that he intends to return to his boyhood club Independiente in Argentina before retiring after he has completed his Manchester City contract, which runs until 2021.He was not included in Argentina’s squad over the international break for their recent clashes against Ecuador and Germany and is set to be in contention to make an appearance for Pep Guardiola’s side’s upcoming top-flight clash against Crystal Palace.-By Sky Sports–0Shares0000(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000The incident has been described as a “minor prang”, with the forward coming away unscathed.LONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 16 – Sergio Aguero is unhurt after being involved in a small car collision on Wednesday morning.Aguero reported to the City Football Academy with the rest of the Manchester City squad as usual, and Sky Sports News understands he did not need to be checked by the club’s medical team.last_img read more