Pienaar sidelined for season opener

first_img Press Association Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar will miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury. The South African, who managed just 11 appearances in the previous campaign and only one after December 15, sustained the problem in training and was left out of his side’s friendly win against Hearts at the weekend. “Obviously it was a really sad moment for all of us when Stevie picked up that injury in training,” manager Roberto Martinez told evertontv. center_img “He’s gone back now to be fully assessed by our medical team at Finch Farm and we’ll get the results very soon. ” But it does seem it’s a problem with his hamstring and clearly he’s going to miss the start of the season, which is a real shame because Stevie worked with fantastic results and fantastic signs over the first three weeks of pre-season. “We were very down about that situation and we hope to get Stevie back as soon as we can.” While Pienaar’s injury issues continue, team-mate Bryan Oviedo insists he has put his troubled past behind him as he focuses on a return to first-team action. The Costa Rica international managed just 11 appearances last season as his comeback from a double-break of his leg took longer than expected and then a fractured metatarsal in April ended his campaign prematurely. Having made his first appearance in five months – in that friendly against Hearts at the weekend – the 25-year-old is looking to move forwards now. “Now everything is coming together well and I hope to play more minutes in this pre-season and be ready for the season ahead,” he told evertontv. “I hope I can work hard on my fitness and get more minutes in the next game. “It was a long wait but now it is in the past. Now the most important thing is to work hard and to be ready. “For me, the most important thing is the future now.” last_img read more

Police release video in hopes of finding twerking shoplifter

first_imgThe Pembroke Pines Police Department is asking for the public’s help in identifying a woman who was seen on surveillance twerking as she shoplifted several items from a store.The incident occurred last month at the MadRag clothing store at 626 N University Drive.Authorities reported that the unknown woman who was seen twerking in the middle of an isle, stole at least $400 worth of merchandise from the store.Officials have released security footage from the store as well as still images in order to capture the woman.NEED TO ID: Can you assist us in identifying these two suspects who were caught on camera removing over $377 worth of items from MadRag (626 N University Drive)? Please contact the PPPD at 954-436-2317, or @crimestoppers2 at 954-493-TIPS, with any information. pic.twitter.com/X85JckC9d4— Pembroke Pines PD (@PPinesPD) May 29, 2019 The woman is described as a heavy-set black female with short hair and multiple tattoos on her shoulders and back.Authorities also believe that she may be working with another woman who was pictured with medium -length black hair.If you have any information regarding these two women, you are asked to contact Broward CrimeStoppers at 954-493-TIPS.last_img read more

Afobe Pulls out of DR Congo Squad

first_imgBritish media reported that Afobe had told the Congolese coach Florent Ibenge he wished to consolidate his place in the Bournemouth starting line-up after scoring against Swansea City in a 3-0 away win on Saturday.“The manager showed faith in me by starting me and I wanted to repay him with a goal, so I’m happy,” the 23-year-old told his club’s website (www.afcb.co.uk) after the victory on New Year’s eve.“The goal was a great relief and a goal at a crucial time. The lads have been helping me a lot and I want to improve personally.”Afobe now has two goals in his last three starts for the Cherries but could be banned from playing for his club for the duration of the three-week tournament, which starts on January 14, if the Congolese federation take up the issue with FIFA.Afobe’s decision comes less than two months after receiving Fifa’s permission belatedly to switch his international allegiance after previously playing for England at the under-21 level.He was supposed to debut for the Congolese in November’s World Cup qualifier at Guinea but was stymied when the Football Association sent his paperwork for the switch of nationality to the wrong federation, embarrassingly mixing up DR Congo with neighbouring Congo-Brazzaville.Afobe had been left frustrated after flying all the way to Africa to find he was not eligible to play, permission coming too late after the mix-up in London was discovered.DR Congo has a tough group at the tournament in Gabon, competing with holders Ivory Coast, Morocco and Togo in Group C.Their opening game is against Morocco in Oyem on January 16.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram AFCON 2017… AFCON 2017… AFCON 2017…Bournemouth striker Benik Afobe has pulled out of the Africa Cup of Nations finals to stay with his Premier League team despite recently switching his allegiance from England to the Democratic Republic of Congo.The Congolese Football Federation (FECOFA) monday confirmed Afobe’s withdrawal from a 31-man preliminary squad, who have gathered in Yaounde, Cameroon for pre-tournament preparations.“Afobe has forfeited from the tournament,” said media officer Gerard-Desire Angengwa without offering any reason.last_img read more