By Paul SzmalDUNDEE, N.Y. (July 27-28) – Rich Michael Jr. and Brad Smith were IMCA Modified winners at Outlaw Speedway’s Scorpion Security Products Summer Nationals.Michael made the move past Keith Jack Lamphere on lap eight to take the lead in the Friday Marion Decker Agency Modified show. Lamphere was left to duel with Rodney Morgan, who picked up a ride in Ray McClure’s car after engine troubles had sidelined him after the heat races.Michael was easily able to pull away for his second win in a row as Morgan took the borrowed ride to a second place finish. Keith Jack Lamphere held off Brandon Smith at the line for third with Keith Lamphere just behind them.Will Ward led until lap 10 on Saturday, when Brad Smith made his way by for the top spot. Smith led the rest of the way to take the win over Ward, Michael, Morgan and Keith Jack Lamphere.
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Assam thrashed Baroda by 119 runs in the Cooch Behar Trophy match at Vadodara on Monday. After taking 32 runs lead in the first innings, Assam managed 283 runs in 100.1 overs in their second innings and gave the target 316 for the hosts on final day. The hosts could managed only 196 in 72.2 overs in their second innings. Promising pacer Dasarath Kumar claimed 5 wickets for 36 to restrict the opponent. In Assam’s second innings Mohammad Kaif (59), Bishal Roy (62) and Denish Das (77) struck half centuries. Kaif and Bishal added 104 runs for the second wicket. Mlahar Ghevaria grabbed 6 wickets for 47.Also Read: Assam beat Tamil Nadu in CK Nayudu tournament at SilcharAlso Watch: Minister Pijush Hazarika rebuts claims of paid crowd at BJP peace rally in Jagi Road
Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers The increasing number of positive tests is an added challenge for the NBA, which is still weighing a potential return to basketball this summer. The CDC suggested over the weekend that gatherings of 50 or more people should be discouraged for eight weeks to slow the spread of the virus – even without fans, televised NBA games would require a minimum of several hundred people to be in an arena. ESPN reported the NBA’s board of governors was meeting on Tuesday to discuss the NBA’s future this season.Several teams that played the Jazz last week went into self-quarantine. Only one player on the Detroit Pistons tested positive among them. The Nets and the Jazz have not played since January, well past the virus incubation period.“The health and well-being of our players, staff, fans, and society in general, is of paramount importance to us, and will continue to be our focus,” the team said in a statement. While many factors can spread the coronavirus, and New York state reported more than 1,300 cases as of Tuesday afternoon, the recommended quarantine period commonly cited is two weeks, putting the Lakers squarely in that window. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersESPN reported that the Nets paid a private company to test their players upon returning from San Francisco, where they traveled before their game against Golden State was canceled. The test results were returned on Tuesday.The Lakers have been following suggested practices since last Thursday: They’ve been asked to remain at home as much as possible and check in with team medical personnel. Group workouts and practices have been replaced by one-on-one sessions with assistants rather than teammates. Lakers players were also given COVID-19 test kits, but not required to use them immediately.In a statement, the Lakers said they were “following the next steps of our COVID-19 procedures and protocol that are established in consultation with various health officials, the NBA and our UCLA Health doctors.” ESPN reported that in light of the reports, the Lakers planned to test players on Wednesday and would urge them to follow a two-week quarantine.The NBA so far has made one notable concession for quarantine, allowing players to travel out of their team markets to visit family.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Four Brooklyn Nets players have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday – a worrisome development for the NBA and the Lakers, their last opponent.The Nets issued a statement saying that only one player has shown symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, while the three others with positive tests have not. The Athletic reported that one of the players who is asymptomatic is Kevin Durant, the 10-time All-Star and two-time NBA Finals MVP and the most high-profile athlete to test positive. The team has asked all members of the traveling party to remain in isolation while checking with team medical staff daily, and they’ve also reached out to recent opponents.Those opponents include the Lakers, who played their last game at a sold-out Staples Center on March 10 against Brooklyn. It was the first game that the league had implemented social distancing measures, closing team locker rooms to non-essential personnel.The day after, the NBA suspended its season following the first positive test by Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert. The Nets’ report now means that seven NBA players across three different teams have tested positive for coronavirus.
Pirate massacreAs investigations continue both in Suriname and in Guyana regarding the recent attacks on fishermen on the high seas in Dutch waters, the Guyana Police Force has confirmed that they have information which placed one of the three suspects being held here, over in Suriname just days prior to the attacks.Acting Police Commissioner David RamnarineThis was disclosed at a press conference on Wednesday to brief the local press on the recent visit to the neighbouring country by security officials led by Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan.According to Police Commissioner (ag), David Ramnarine, during the press briefing, the three persons in custody here were held based on information received from Surinamese law enforcement as well as from fisherfolk on the ground.“…The three persons are in custody as a result of information received and it is not definitive at this point in time as to the nature of any involvement or the extent of any involvement at this point in time. We did receive information from one and two fishermen which seems to have placed one of the persons in custody at a certain area in Suriname prior to the departure of fishermen and a certain conversation would have unfolded but that is as far as we have in this point in time,” Ramnarine noted.According to the Commissioner, while a lot more work will have to be done to get to the bottom of the matter, local investigators have since obtained detailed statements and are in constant contact with the Force’s legal advisor.Moreover, Ramnarine confirmed reports that revenge may have been the cause of the recent attacks on Guyanese fishermen in the Dutch waters.“There is a lot of work that needs to be done. It seems to be that the basis for this gruesome, heinous and dastardly act had to do with some form of retaliation for one of the persons in custody whose brother was alleged gun downed in a drive-by shooting on 30th of March  in Suriname… We have, among other things, sought extension (of time to further hold the three suspects in custody) because we have a lot of work to do,” the Top Cop stated.The person who was gunned down in Paramaribo was Somnauth Manohar, a Guyanese fishing boat owner, who was living and working in the neighbouring country. It has been reported that the man’s death stemmed from an ongoing dispute between Guyanese fishermen here and those residing in Suriname over fishing rights in Dutch waters. Investigators are working on the theory that Manohar’s family may have planned the recent horrific attacks in retaliation of and to avenge his death.In fact, the man’s son was hauled in for questioning in Suriname, while his brother is among the three in custody here.Currently, law enforcement in Suriname have a total of 15 persons in custody, among whom are two alleged suspects – “Crackhead” and “Dick” – who were identified by survivors as two of sea bandits, all Guyanese, who attacked the fishermen on the high seas in Surinamese waters on April 27 last, during which 20 crew members were chopped and tossed overboard. Thus far, there have been five survivors and three bodies recovered while 12 fishermen are still missing.Law enforcements have confirmed that the second attack just days later, which saw a boat captain killed and his crew missing, is also believed to be linked to the first incident.A few days after those attacks, fishermen in Surinamese waters captured “Crackhead” at Commewijne and after a sound thrashing, he was handed over to Police. The reports from the neighbouring country say that the suspect allegedly confessed to Dutch investigators that he was involved in the attack which was carried out based on instructions from someone.During Wednesday’s press briefing, Minister Ramjattan said as Guyana’s and Suriname’s law enforcement agencies continue to collaboration to get to the root cause of what described as a “major disaster, catastrophe and massacre”, and to also get justice for the victims, the Guyana Police Force has requested the case file from its Dutch counterparts.Meanwhile, the Public Security Minister noted that the Surinamese authorities have indicated that the bodies of those three fishermen that were recovered will only be handed over to relatives after DNA testings are conducted to ascertain their identities. While Suriname has the facilities to conduct these tests, the Guyanese officials were told that this process would take some time.On the other hand, fishermen in the neighbouring country have since docked their boats out of fear of recent events. Some of the fisherfolks including the survivors have complained bitterly about the treatment at the hands of the Dutch authorities, saying that no proper measures are in place to protect fishermen, who are mostly Guyanese, while out at sea.But Ramjattan said at the press conference on Wednesday that the Surinamese Ministers whom he met during his visit have assured the immediate implementation of regulations to better secure the fishing industry there. These include setting up checkpoints to get detailed information about vessels and crews going out to sea and put monitoring system in place such as transmission systems in the fishing boats so that they can make quick contact with those on the mainland.