Newman’s Own Foundation offers £134k to UK children’s charities

first_img Howard Lake | 4 June 2015 | News Tagged with: Funding  78 total views,  2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis1 Newman’s Own Foundation offers £134k to UK children’s charities  77 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis1 Advertisement Newman’s Own Foundation is inviting applications from UK charities for grants totalling £134,000 (US$200,000). The funding will be awarded to charities that empower children to overcome extraordinary adverse circumstances.The foundation was established in 2005 by Paul Newman, the late actor and philanthropist. It receives its income from all net profits and royalties made from the sale of Newman’s Own products. It does not fundraise or accept donations.The UK grants are being publicised with help from comedian and TV presenter Harry Hill. He has spoken in the past about being inspired by Paul Newman and the work the Foundation has done both in the UK and worldwide.He said:“Last year I got the chance to meet some of the recipients of the grants and saw the incredible impact the funds had. The Foundation allows charities to obtain funding which supports the fantastic charitable work being done up and down the UK. Paul Newman has always been a huge inspiration for me personally and I wanted to get involved and help spread the word about the grants that UK charities can apply for.”Eligible charities should submit their applications by 12 June 2015. Final grants will be announced on the International Day of Charity on 5 September 2015. Newman’s Own Foundation has already donated over US$430 million (approx. £288 million) around the world, including over US$5 million (approx. £3.39 million) to various UK charities, with this latest initiative. About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.last_img read more

Mac Lochlainn calls for same sex marriage referendum date at LGBT policy launch

first_img Twitter Previous articleSuarez handed four month ban and will miss 9 internationalsNext articleCommunications Minister says new electricity line is good for Donegal News Highland Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th WhatsApp Pinterest Facebook Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Mac Lochlainn calls for same sex marriage referendum date at LGBT policy launch Google+ Google+center_img News Facebook Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By News Highland – June 26, 2014 Pinterest Sinn Féin is calling on the Government to set a date for a constitutional referendum on same-sex marriage.The party’s LGBT rights policy document, which was launched earlier today by the party’s Justice and Equality spokesperson Donegal Deputy Pádraig MacLochlainn.He says there are 10 central issues identified in the document which was drawn up after widespread consultation.Deputy Mac Lochlainn says nothing less than full equality of rights and opportunities under law for the LGBT community should be tolerated in a modern, progressive and inclusive society, and the right to marry is at the core of that demand………….Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/padraiglgbt.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan firelast_img read more

Retail Agency Team of the Year

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

2023 ‘too early’ for verdict on German pension reform

first_imgThe 2023 deadline set by the German government to assess the impact of its occupational pension reform is too ambitious, according to speakers at an industry conference.At the end of 2023, five full years from the time the government’s Betriebsrentenstärkungsgesetz (BRSG) comes into force, the government will assess the state of play in occupational pensions. However, panellists at a Willis Towers Watson conference in Frankfurt last week expressed concerns about the 2023 timeline.If the government was not satisfied with the situation it could move to make workplace pensions mandatory, according to Thomas Jasper, head of retirement for Western Europe at Willis Towers Watson.The BRSG, coming into force next year, aims to expand occupational pensions coverage, in particular in small and medium-sized enterprises and among those on low income. One of the law’s main impacts will be the introduction of defined contribution (DC) schemes, if agreed to by trade unions and employers. The German government has previously stated that there were alternatives if occupational pension coverage did not expand as a result of the new reform law. The alternatives would be to introduce a mandatory occupational pension system or oblige employers to auto-enrol staff into a workplace plan.Dirk Jargstorff, head of retirement provision at Robert Bosch Group, urged employers to make use as much as possible of the options introduced by the BRSG. If not, they risked being forced to do something they didn’t want to do, he said.Thorsten Linnmann, responsible for human resources and global pensions at Lanxess, a chemicals company, said 2023 was “definitely” too short a timeframe to judge the success or otherwise of the DC model introduced by the BRSG.Many employers and other people in the pensions industry were still struggling to get their heads round all the facets of the new law and its implications, but it was their duty to break this down for employees, he said.This was a task for the weeks, months and years ahead, and “I hope, not only until 2023,” said Linnmann.Overall he saw the DC model as a positive step and likely to help boost pensions coverage. However, with Lanxess having introduced a new plan earlier this year, the company had little appetite to start over again, he said – at least at the moment.The majority (58%) of delegates at the conference only expected a substantial take-up of the DC model from 2020 onwards. A third envisaged this happening starting in 2019, while only 9% anticipated this happening next year.According to calculations presented by Willis Towers Watson’s Jasper, the BRSG could increase workplace pensions coverage by 25 percentage points, from 40% of employees to 65%.However, he too questioned whether the five years to the end of 2023 would be enough to measure the effect of the reform law. This was a message that needed to be jointly communicated to the government, he said.Willis Towers Watson is to launch a new index to track the effect of the BRSG. The German Pensions Index will capture the development of the German occupational pensions landscape over the coming years starting from the end of 2017. It will monitor the use of different types of plans, opting out models, salary sacrifice, matching arrangements, and more. Bosch re-assessing bAV Riester Technology giant Bosch could decide to re-introduce a state-subsidised Riester pension plan as an occupational offering given that the BRSG has made this more attractive, according to Jargstorff.Bosch used to offer employees a Riester pension savings option more than 10 years ago. Jargstoff said that a comprehensive analysis recently carried out by the company in light of the BRSG had shown that it was an option worth re-examining.The results of the company’s analysis were “at least in their unambiguity, surprising”, he said. However, he emphasised that the company had yet to come to a final decision about offering a Riester.Riester plans have primarily been used by private individuals rather than being offered by employers, but the BRSG has made workplace Riester, or “bAV Riester”, more attractive.From next year, payouts will not be subject to social security payments, as was already the case for privately adopted Riester contracts. In addition, the basic allowance has been increased from €154 to €175.last_img read more

Football: Blatter regret at overstaying FIFA tenure

first_imgBut FIFA assured last month “no investigation” had been opened into Infantino after sources said his role in the Confederation of African Football’s presidential elections was being looked into.“I don’t know about that, I only know that former FIFA colleagues addressed themselves because of him to the ethics committee and that three or four weeks later, they were thrown out of FIFA,” Blatter said.Ethics chiefs Hans-Joachim Eckert and Cornel Borbely were replaced in May at the annual FIFA Congress, with Borbely calling the decision “a setback in the fight against corruption”.Blatter also spoke out against the introduction of the video assistant review (VAR) system, currently being trialled at the Confederations Cup in Russia.“The game loses attractiveness… You have to leave referees to make mistakes, what FIFA are doing is delicate and dangerous,” he said.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Sepp Blatter (pictured) and deputies Jerome Valcke and Markus Kattner tried to “enrich themselves” with $80 millionGeneva, Switzerland | AFP | Disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter, forced out as head of world football’s governing body amid a corruption scandal in 2015, admitted on Sunday he regretted not stepping down earlier.The 81-year-old was banned over ethics breaches, bringing an end to his 17-year reign as FIFA chief, following a suspect two million Swiss franc ($2 million, 1.8 million euro) payment to ex-UEFA president Michel Platini.“I should have stopped myself earlier,” Blatter said in an interview published by Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick, adding that his ousting as FIFA boss was “a relief”.Blatter, who was re-elected for a fifth term in May 2015 before promptly announcing his plans to resign, recalled the editor-in-chief of a Swiss magazine warning him the role of FIFA president had an expiration date.“‘At your place the date is 2014’, he told me, and I said to him that sometimes it’s written that the product can be consumed beyond this date if it’s stored in a cool place,” Blatter said.Blatter was also asked about a report in German newspaper Der Spiegel that current FIFA chief Gianni Infantino had feared being dismissed as the subject of another ethics committee investigation.Infantino was cleared last year by FIFA of ethics violations after investigating him over his use of private jets, personal expenses, hiring methods and a contract dispute.last_img read more